GI Rights Hotline

Military Discharges and Military Counseling

Call 1-877-447-4487

Nonmedical Documentation

Nonmedical documentation of a personality disorder can be very helpful, but it should be in addition to a current psychiatric report. Friends, and sometimes a sympathetic chaplain or medical officer, can report problems that they have seen to your superiors. Letters from a concerned relative or family minister, or from professionals such as social workers or marriage counselors, may also be useful.

The Navy and Marine Corps usually require nonmedical evidence which cites specific examples of the member’s inability to function in the military. You can help to document a personality disorder by allowing its symptoms to show. Many members make strenuous efforts to control their problems while on duty, or you may simply have less visible or detectable symptoms. You can be open and honest about your symptoms, while being careful not to violate regulations in the process. For example:

  • If you hide your depression, you can talk about it or otherwise let it show.
  • If you have trouble concentrating, you can mention this to superiors and ask for help.
  • If you experience crying spells, you can cry openly.
  • If you experience difficulty keeping your anger under control, you can let your superior know you are having trouble without hurting or threatening anyone.
  • You can let your superiors know when you are experiencing difficulty more and more frequently.

Refer to specific Service regulations for a detailed description of the criteria for discharge and use these as guidelines for documenting each claim.