GI Rights Hotline

Military Discharges and Military Counseling

Call 1-877-447-4487

Documentation for a Homosexual Conduct Discharge

Servicemembers can seek this discharge by stating, in writing (see the sample letter), that they are gay and addressing the statement to the separation authority, via the commanding officer. Verbal statements should not be made instead of, or in addition to, the written statement. Commands may misunderstand or distort what was said and perhaps claim a member admitted to acts under aggravating circumstances or acts warranting disciplinary action. Commands also often ignore verbal statements because they do not want to discharge the servicemember. Be sure to have a counselor review the written statement before it is submitted. Statements that take strong political positions may trigger an investigation or harassment. Likewise, statements should not acknowledge engaging in homosexual acts.