GI Rights Hotline

Military Discharges and Military Counseling

Call 1-877-447-4487

Approaching the Command

Unfortunately, you cannot directly request an ELS, but you can present your problems to the command so that the process will be initiated. A first step in approaching the command can be for you to tell your problems to a chaplain and try to get a referral to the base counseling center. You can also request a meeting with the commanding officer to discuss your difficulties. You can approach your command in the role of a patient presenting his or her problems. Encourage others familiar with the situation (such as a clergy member or chaplain, lawyer, doctor, or social worker) to approach the command. If possible, find a friendly military psychiatrist, medical officer, or chaplain to help bring the case to the command’s attention. It is ideal when such military professionals recommend discharge to the command.