Comments: To view or download the complete regulation, click on the link to it in the box above these comments.
1. A Reservist may be termed an unsatisfactory participant when one or more of the following occurs:
a. Unsatisfactory IDT attendance or participation to include:
(5) Any unexcused absence from an IDT period.
b. Failure to attend scheduled AT or any other ADT requirement.
Comments: "AT" is Annual Training; "ADT" is Active Duty (for) Training.
4601. UNSATISFACTORY PARTICIPATION
1. Members Serving Pursuant to the Initial Enlistment Agreement. When a Reservist with a mandatory participation requirement acquires at least nine unexcused absences within the preceeding 12-month period, or is categorized as an unsatisfactory participant for reasons other than excessive absences, the unit commander must pursue one of the following actions:
a. Retain the Reservist and authorize EDPs to regain satisfactory participation status.
Comments: "EDP" is Equivalent Duty Period.
b. Extend the SMCR Marine’s Mandatory Drill Participation Stop Date (MDPSD) by a period of time commensurate to the accumulated unsatisfactory participation time.
(1) The number of months that the (MDPSD) will be extended is determined by calcualting the number of missed drills during the period of unsatisfactory participation and dividing by four. For example, sixteen missed drills divided by four equals a four month extension (16/4 = 4). Fractions equal to or greater than 1⁄2 of a month are rounded up. Lesser fractions are disregarded.
(2) Extensions will not be granted for periods of less than one month.
(3) This opportunity will only be afforded once in a Marine’s career.
(4) At no time will an extension exceed a Marine’s ECC.
(5) COMMARFORRES or its MSCs are the approval authority for all requests. Units not under the command of one of the MSCs will forward requests directly to COMMARFORRES (G-1) for approval.
(6) Requests will contain the following information on the Marine for which the extension is requested: Name, Grade, last-4 SSN, MDP Start Date, Current MDP Stop Date, Requested MDP
Stop Date, Justification, and date of ECC.
c. Initiate separation proceedings, per reference (s).
NOTE: The nine unexcused absences do not have to be missed consecutively.
10300. JURISDICTION OVER RESERVISTS ON ACTIVE DUTY OR ACTIVE DUTY TRAINING
1. Members of the Marine Corps Reserve lawfully called or ordered to AD or ADT are subject to reference (z) beginning with the effective date of such orders.
Comments: Reference (z) is the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
10400. JURISDICTION OVER RESERVISTS ON INACTIVE DUTY TRAINING
1. Article 2A(3) of reference (z) extends court-martial jurisdiction over reservists while on IDT (including telecommuting per chapter 5). As defined in paragraph 4701.3 of this Order, a reservist shall be considered in an IDT status beginning at the time of arrival at the designated IDT location or while at government furnished quarters when remaining overnight for the purpose of commencing one or more consecutive IDT periods. Such status shall continue until the member completes the final IDT period on the last day of such periods.