Comments: To view or download the complete regulation, click on the the link to it in theabove.
1. Policy. Any military installation of command, manned by active duty members, may receive absentees and deserters. Absentees/deserters should be subsequently transferred to the nearest installation of their branch of service which has the facilities to process absentees/deserters. Navy Absentee Collection and Information Center (NACIC) will direct the movement of apprehended Navy deserters.
b. Enlisted personnel, absent for 119 days or less, will normally be returned to their original duty station from which they deserted; however,
(1) deserters absent from an overseas shore activity, unit homeported overseas, or deployed unit absent from homeport for more than 90 days consecutively, who return to military control within the 48 contiguous United States, Puerto Rico, Alaska, or Hawaii, will be transferred to the Navy processing unit closest to the point of apprehension/surrender.
(2) for deserters absent from an overseas shore activity, unit homeported overseas, or deployed unit, who return to military control in an overseas area other than where the parent command is located, contact NACIC for guidance.
(3) deserters absent from an overseas shore activity or unit homeported overseas, absent for 119 days or less, who return to military control in the overseas area where the parent command is located, will normally be returned to their parent commmand for disciplinary processing.
(4) deserters absent 119 days or less, assigned to an at-sea ship or unit not deployed, will be returned to Transient Personnel Unit (TPU) at homeport of unit for further transfer to the unit upon return to port.
(5) deserters absent 119 days or less, assigned to an at-sea submarine (not deployed), will be returned to the submarine's parent squadron/group or the TPU at the submarine's homeport.
(6) deserters absent for 120 days or more will be returned to the Navy processing unit closest to the point of apprehension or surrender. Navy processing activities for the purpose of this article are
TPU, Puget Sound, Sliverdale, WA;
TPU, Jacksonville, FL;
TPU, Norfolk, VA;
TPU, San Diego, CA; and
TPU, Pearl Harbor, HI.
Comments: This is the regulation that allows but does require members of the Navy absent 120 days to be processed for discharge at a TPU.